“After passing the little lodge at the gate by the Post Road, on the approach to the pretty Gothic chapel, “Our Lady of the Wayside,” one might readily fancy oneself let down in the Kentish Garden of England, near some ancestral chapel on a great domain.” ~ from “The Woodstock Papers: A Record of Current Events and Historical Notes Connected with Colleges and Missions of the Society of Jesus,” 1902.
The beloved and historic chapel was restored in stages with funds from a small but dedicated congregation consisting of Catholic students at the Culinary Institute of America and friends of the chapel. Built by James D. Murphy in 1900 in the early Tudor Gothic style out of local stone (hand-selected by Jesuit Father Walsh from the old walls of the estate), this wayside chapel is a Hudson Valley treasure.
Our Lady of the Way reredos carved from Carrera marble includes a lovely relief of the Madonna and Child. Laudate Sacred Art carefully cleaned and restored the marble and painted the background with luminous hand-ground pigment in an egg tempera medium. Select details of the reredos as well as the crucifix and altar appointments were gilded with 24K gold detailing.
Laudate Sacred Art restored the historic “riddle” around the altar. For more information about this riddle, please see our blog post entitled “The Restoration of the Riddle.“